Thursday, October 05, 2006

It's Bananas!

Last Saturday, Jon and I took some friends to Chinatown and the Grove areas. Will, Maria, and Melinda were in the back seat. Maria had been hungry before we'd left, so she'd brought some snacks, which included bananas. She gave one banana to Will, and I noticed that she put hers on the ledge behind the backseat to eat later. We had a great time exploring the two L.A. spots with new people, and we came back to our apartments very tired from the afternoon...

On Sunday, I jumped in my car to volunteer at the zoo (hence the Jane Goodall encounter), and when I left the zoo for the day to get in my car, a strong banana fragrance waifed out the door. I looked at the back ledge to see Maria's banana had been baking in the back window all day. I removed it and stored it in our freezer to make banana bread with later. But, all this week, the smell has persisted everytime I get in my car! Did the banana leak on my upholstry?

This morning, Jon and I were washing the Taurus with the hose behind our apartment when I noticed something... Another banana was on the ledge! Will must've stuck his back there, and the head rest of the back seat had hidden it from my view. I grabbed it and put it in the freezer with the other very ripe banana, and the smell left my car upon its removal. The week-long mystery of the banana smell was solved!

3 comments:

RC said...

how funny...it sounds like grete had the opportunity for an enrichment activity only a former zoo keeper could appreciate.

Erin Marie said...

i made a blog so i can comment. maybe i will update it too. i love reading your stories. miss you!

Anonymous said...

Grete,
Just checked on that movie for Saturday and the tickets were sold out... Thanks so much for the invite and for the ride today!